THE MOUNTAIN CHURCH NHA TRANG
The mountain church was built on Sep 03 1928
on small mountain with name is Bong, just about 12 meters high.
Priest Louis Vallet (1869 – 1945) devoted his
effort to build the church. When he passed away, his grave was lay at the foot
of the mountain.
mountain church has many humble names such as Nha Trang Church (because the
church was belong to the Nha Trang Christian people), Stone church (because it
was build by stone). The Roundabout church (ít’s next to a roundabout) but the most popular name is
On Easter of 1929, the
road for cars to the church was opened. June 1929, the path for pedestrian at
the North of the mountain was completed. Afterward, the other works were also
brought into services … on March 1930; the main hall for church activities was
On November 24 1960, Nha
Trang Diocese was promoted to The Main Diocese. Nha Trang Church was officially
selected as Main cathedral of the Main Diocese. Mountain Church was built in
architecture of Western church. In general, the Mountain Church has the
impressive stone architecture with the cross on the top of bells tower, 38
meters high from the ground.
The Mountain Church face toward the North, there’re 2 paths lead to the church. The first path is included 53 stair steps; it was built in 1940, started from Thái Nguyên road. The second path is from the roundabout lead to the back yard of the church. It was built in 1941.
- Collected -